Thursday, April 30, 2009

Major update, sorry I've been out. ;)


I know I've been bad. I've not updated in a few weeks. But honestly I've just been so tired. I thought I was slowly dying for awhile until my blood test came back from the lab. Apparently I have hypothyroidism. Which sucks. Totally. It runs in the family though, my mother, her sister's and some of my female cousins have it. And poor Sakura, she'll have it probably because it runs in Bobby's family as well. Hypothyroidism basically means my thyroid isn't producing enough hormones to sustain my body to function properly. I get head aches, I'm constantly tired to the bone no matter what I do, dry skin, bad hair, muscle aches and cramps and the list goes on. Like I said I thought I was dying. They have a pill that gives me the hormones my body needs called snythroid. I will need to continue to take this pill for the rest of my life basically. And go in for blood test twice a year to make sure my dosage doesn't need upped. I have to avoid certains foods and I have to become more active and live a healthier life in order to maintain the "normal" that everyone else has with a regular thyroid. I've been reading a bunch about it. Apparently 1 in 50 women have it. And 1 in every 1000 for men. Oh did I mention it effects your moods too?...yeah anxiety, depression and bad memory. At least I have an excuse for being a bubble head now.

Now on to more plesant news. Sakura and I will be traveling to Utah next Thursday the 7th to Monday the 11th to visit my Family. I am looking forward to that. Lil nervous about the Swine Flu thing but we'll be wearing mask at the airport. And be using hand sanitizer like mad. And I may wear some latex gloves at the airport. I know, I know... Oh well better safe than sorry.

Beltane is tomorrow, I'll be celebrating that with my class tonight at Esoterica. (May Eve, April 30th-May 1st) Most important to pagans, save for Samhain, I don't know of any Pagan group that doesn't celebrate this holiday in some way. Beltane is the great Fertility rite of life, starting at dusk on the 30th and continuing until the dawn of the 1st. The union of the God and Goddess to conceive the sun-child to be takes place upon this holiday, no matter which tradition of paganism is involved. Beltane is the one holiday most discouraged by the Christians, who didn't even use it as a point for a holiday of their own because the power and nature of the day involved. Still, even in Christianized Ireland the May day dance of the Maypole remained, as did the giving of flowers to those you loved or cared for as friends. The Maypole is a symbol of the union of the God and Goddess to create life, the pole itself a phallic symbol while the dancers and their streamers or vines of flowers represent the fertile womb of the goddess . Besides the Maypole often a bonfire is present, and members of the group are encouraged to jump the flames for luck and their own fertility. Food, drink and love are the order of the evening. Beltane is the time of many marriages/handfastings in the pagan community (in some it is the point where one chooses to begin and end relationships of a physical nature). It is said that a child conceived on this day will grow up to wield great power and knowledge and to be healthier than upon any other. I've added a book on Beltane to Sakura's growing library.

Last, I'll leave with a picture of the adorable fairy costume I bought for Sakura for the fairy festival in Maryland on May 16th. I'll be going down with my friend Gina and her son Dylan on Saturday. And possibly with my Pagan meetup group on Sunday. It should be fun. I've bought some giant wings for myself and will be using a crazy wig as usual. ;)